Thursday, June 12, 2008

Cliff Clavin Strikes Again

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

Yes, you guessed it. That is the official name of Bangkok.

That was what I was confronted with first thing this morning. The atheist, our resident Cliff Clavin, walked over and promptly set a printout on my desk. No conversation with me; just set the paper down. I could have said, ‘oh yea, ha ha ha’ and played like I knew what it was. But I don’t really give a flip about looking uninformed. So my real reply was, “What the heck is that, your birth name?”

‘No, that’s the official name of Bangkok. I used to know it by memory; I had some friends from Thailand and I could rattle it off on command’

Good for you atheist, good for you.

It’s going to be a long day today.

No comments: